Medicare coverage can get complicated. Thankfully, it comes with an instruction manual. That manual is the Medicare & You handbook, and Medicare updates it every year. It’s filled with useful information, so make sure you have the current edition and that you know how to use it.
Getting Your Hands on the Handbook
You should receive the Medicare & You handbook in the mail each fall ahead of the Annual Election Period in October. Check your mailbox to see if yours has arrived.
If you’d like to save some space (and some trees), you can elect to go paperless. To get the electronic version of handbook, log into your Medicare account and select “My account settings.” Then select “Edit my communication preferences.” You should see the question “Do you want to receive the ‘Medicare & You’ handbook electronically.” Select “Yes” and hit “Submit.”
Accessing the Handbook in Different Formats
Do you need the handbook in Spanish? Do you want to download it to your Kindle? Do you need it in large print, Braille, or audio? No problem! The handbook is available in multiple formats.
- Languages: The Medicare & You handbook is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese.
- Large Print: The Medicare & You handbook is available as a large print PDF in English and Spanish.
- Audio: The Medicare & You handbook is available as a podcast or audio CD in English and Spanish.
- Braille: The Medicare & You handbook is available in Braille.
- eBook: The Medicare & You handbook is available as a MOBI file for Kindle and as an EPUB file for other eReaders.
For information on getting these formats, go to the “Download “Medicare & You” in different formats webpage.
You can also access an online version of the handbook at https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10050-medicare-and-you.pdf.
Navigating the Medicare & You Handbook
The 2022 edition of the Medicare & You handbook has 128 pages. That might seem like a lot, but there’s a lot to cover. You’ll find information about Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement Insurance and Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. You’ll also find important information on signing up for coverage, paying for health and drug costs, protecting yourself from fraud, getting the most out of your coverage and more.
- Page 2 has information on what’s new and important. If you’re familiar with handbooks from previous years, this is a good page to check out. For 2022, new and important items include coverage for COVID, cognitive assessments and blood-based biomarker tests.
- Page 3 has the table of contents. If you’re looking for something specific, you might be able to find it listed here. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, go to the index of topics on page 10, where you’ll find a more detailed breakdown of key topics in alphabetical order.
- If you’re confused by some of the terms, head to the back of the handbook. On page 121, you’ll see definitions of key Medicare words and phrases.
If you have any questions Medicare please contact us.